US senator Marco Rubio, Donald Trump's pick to lead the State Department, said during his confirmation hearing on Tuesday that there are “historic opportunities” for the US in the Middle East, and that he is “hopeful” of an imminent ceasefire in the Gaza war.
Mr Rubio appeared to sign on to the “day-after” plan outlined this week by current Secretary of State Antony Blinken, highlighting the importance of the Biden administration's proposed six-week transitional period, “where it's going to require international co-operation to bring some level of stability in administration”.
“There are opportunities available now in the Middle East that did not exist 90 days ago, whether it's what's happened in Lebanon, whether it's what's happened in Syria, whether it's what hopefully will happen with this ceasefire and the release of hostages,” Mr Rubio said at his Senate confirmation hearing. “But these things, again, are going to be hard work, and they'll require us to take advantage of those opportunities."
Mr Rubio signalled that the new Trump administration will adopt a harder posture against Iran, doubling down on the incoming president's “America First” agenda, as well as a more antagonistic relationship with the UN and international courts. He said that during Mr Trump's first term in office, “American strength was a deterrent to our adversaries, and it gave us leverage in diplomacy".
“There were no new wars. ISIS was eviscerated. [Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps-Quds Force Maj Gen Qassem] Suleimani was dead. The historic Abraham Accords were born, and Americans were safer as a result. Now, President Trump returns to office with an unmistakable mandate from the voters. They want a strong America,” said Mr Rubio.
The Florida senator aligned himself with a growing hostility towards the UN and international courts, a mounting trend in the incoming “Trump trifecta” in Washington. He blasted the International Criminal Court's warrant for the arrest of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, saying the court “did tremendous damage to its global credibility” and warned that the warrants are a “test run” for whether the ICC can pursue figures in the US.
Mr Rubio described a vision of a post-Cold War order in which the US is being “manipulated” by its adversaries as Washington's enemies “hide behind their veto power at the United Nations Security Council". He has previously advocated the US halt its funding of the UN agency for Palestinian refugees, UNRWA, a measure that is expected to be among the policy priorities as Republicans take the helm.
The Florida Republican said Mr Trump has given a “very clear” directive that US policy abroad must be driven by “three simple questions”: “Does it make America safer? Does it make America stronger? Does it make America more prosperous?”
Mr Rubio indicated he would push for a swift end to the Russia-Ukraine war, and that Kyiv and Moscow should prepare for territorial concessions. “There's no way Ukraine is also going to push these people all the way back to where they were on the eve of the invasion,” he said.
“This war has to end, and I think it should be the official policy of the United States that we want to see it end. Now what that masterplan looks like … it's going to require bold diplomacy. It is important for everyone to be realistic."
Mr Rubio was in friendly company at his Senate confirmation hearing: the longtime senator was until recently a member of the Foreign Relations Committee responsible for questioning him. He is considered one of the few Trump nominees with bipartisan support – in sharp contrast to Mr Trump's pick to lead the Department of Defence, Pete Hegseth.
The committee's top Democrat, ranking member Jean Shaheen, told Mr Rubio that she believes he has "the skills and [is] well qualified to serve as secretary of state". The committee has scheduled its official vote to endorse Mr Rubio's nomination for Mr Trump's inauguration day, January 20.